Humber Avenue Community Allotments
Quiz #1. Questions submitted by Terry Smith.
- Who is the patron saint of gardeners, horticulture, florists, brides and brewers?
- Which fruit has main varieties slicing, burpless, and pickling?
- What is pomology the study of?
- What fruit comes in varieties Oro Blanco, Ruby Red, Thompson and Pink?
- Which famous 30 acre sculpture garden, created by Charles Jencks, is near Dumfries in Scotland?
- What is the national fruit of India, Pakistan, and the Philippines?
- Apples, pears, plums, apricots, and peaches are members of what family of flowering plants?
- What were brought to Britain from Germany by Sir Charles Isham in 1847?
- True or false. Daffodil bulbs can be used in place of onions in many recipes?
- Which flowers were once known as gillyflowers?
Quiz #2. Questions submitted by Terry Smith.
- The Monkey Puzzle tree originates from which country?
- The RHS holds a flower show at Tatton Park in which county?
- The death cap is the most poisonous variety of what?
- What yellow flowering tree is poisonous?
- Rhizomes are a type of what plant?
- What herb beginning with A has soothing properties?
- Shepherds Purse is a type of what?
- A hybrid tea is a type of what?
- Butterflies: Red Admiral, ——- White?
- A cloche can help protect plants from what?
Quiz #3. Questions submitted by Terry Smith.
- Which part of the tree can be used to make cork?
- Which grain is used to make semolina?
- Which part of a flower becomes the fruit?
- What is another name for the rowan tree?
- Which herbaceous plant takes its name from the Italian phrase for beautiful women and has toxic foliage and berries?
- What cereal must be grown in water?
- What is the sacred flower of the Buddhist religion?
- The love apple is the original name for what?
- Which liquid does a flower produce to attract insects?
- Which part of a flowering plant is often used to make oil?